Sunday 21 April 2013

My foray into "Sprouting"

          I bought beans from Cold Storage after class on Saturday. Green [mung] and adzuki beans, and garden and black eyed peas. I was tempted to buy more but I figured that these four should be adequate for my very first formal attempt at sprouting. Truthfully, I bought the beans based on colours!! Oh...they're organic :)
          I started with mung beans. I was told by those on youtube that it's the easiest to sprout. And they're SO right! I emptied the entire 200+gm of beans into this nifty plastic container I bought at the Japan Home Decor [which happened to be the first outlet I saw upon entering Wangsa Walk]. The container is pretty large, comes with a drainer and cover. "That'll make rinsing easy peasy" was what went through my mind at the time. Did I ever tell you that I'm lazy??
          Then I realised that the little green beans could pass through the drainer holes! But it wasn't critical. Simply dumped them back onto the drainer after rinsing and quickly placed the outer container underneath. Done! Filled it up with water circa 3 times the level of the beans. Left them to soak overnight.
          And I overslept! So the beans got more soaking that they needed. However, all is not lost....I think. I rinsed them. Saw miniscule sprouts already!! Yea)))))))))) Tasted some...aaah good stuff. Smiled at the beans, sent them a little prayer, covered the container with a hand towel and placed it in a darkish spot in my kitchen.
          Looking forward to having them for my lunch tomorrow  :) Btw, 200+gm gives you a lot of sprouts.
          My mind is suddenly thinking of sunflowers.........

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Kak Ijan! Reminds me of the time I used to grow my own herbs and greens in hydroponics. I am thinking of starting again. Perhaps the upside-down tomatoes?

    Why not try mixed sprouts, I love those that I usually get in containers from Oz. I think I will do that too. Thanks for rekindling the food gardening love.

    ReplyDelete