Sunday 7 July 2013

My sunflower saga.....

            I don't know what it is with me and sunflowers. Really! I tried to germinate almost a whole packet of them - and NONE, read NIL, NADA, ZILCH.....sprouted. I mean, I'm not the world's best gardener but I'm certainly not its worst either [I believe!]. I managed to sprout all the other seeds I bought. So maybe some didn't make it through infancy....but they germinated well enough! Except for the sunflowers......
            I felt challenged when I read the blogs and viewed youtube. ALL of those featured said that sunflowers are among the EASIEST plant to grow. Ouch! HUH!! I watched kids toss them into pots and voila....they got bright yellow sunflowers!! pffftttt......
            A friend said that it could be the seeds I bought. Maybe they weren't good. I think he was trying to make me feel better. But it made me pick up a couple of fresh packets of sunflowers when I bought my compost. I gently tossed a few into a cup, watered it and waited breathlessly for several days....AND....ta-da~~~~here they are!

            The packet says "Sunflower - Big Smile". Well, right now it's more me...with the big smile :) :) :)
            I'm praying that they'll make it through and give me these.......

            Wouldn't that just be so grand..... ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm with your friend. If NONE grew, it probably was bad seeds. Good luck on the new batch!

    ReplyDelete